Monday 12 July 2010

Anthropomorphic Comics

I just recently bought a few graphic novel collections and noticed that they were pretty much all anthropomorphic stories. (On top of that, I realised that I've posted a lot of things recently without any pictures . . . the wall of text was insulting my sense of aesthetic. So I've gone a little picture happy here, but I'm talking comics, so why not?)

Blacksad, a private eye noir story set in post WW2 USA.



Usagi Yojimbo, a ronin rabbit who wanders feudal Japan helping the peasants and trying to escape the betrayals in his past.



The Mouse Guard: Winter 1152, a series of mice trying to defend their cities against marauders (like other small mammals and creatures) and sometimes threats from within.


I've read Blacksad and The Mouse Guard so far and they were both really amazing tales. I was particularly impressed with Blacksad . . . it had a very cinematic quality to it . . . emotive and powerful stories told with masterful artwork (not to mention the interesting use of animal types to convey peoples' characters).

No comments:

Post a Comment